How to Apply
- Review the qualifications below to determine if you have enough points to qualify to take the assessment
- Use the “Apply Now” button to log into the system (or create a profile) if you have the required minimum of 20 points (including one year of SDS and Label Authoring experience)
- Once you have logged into your account, use the “SDS and Label Authoring Registry” tile to start the application, upload the required documentation, and pay the $100 application fee
- When notified that you are eligible to take the exam, log back into your account, select your testing method (in-person or remote proctor), and pay for your assessment online
- If you will be testing via remote proctor, schedule your exam for a date and time convenient for you with our remote proctoring service
- Applications are valid for one year from the submittal date. The assessment/exam must be scheduled and completed within one year of application acceptance.
You will be contacted if any information is missing or if clarification is needed. The application review process generally is completed within two weeks of receipt of all required information and requested clarifications.
At least 20 qualification points must be documented in your application. Points are gained through a combination of the following qualifications and are cumulative.
SDS and Label Authoring Experience
Documentation Required: Proof of experience.
A minimum of:
- one (1) year of SDS (Safety Data Sheet) and Label authoring is required to apply for the registry.
- 40% of the time spent on SDS / Label authoring or other hazard communication-related activities during the year is required for each year of experience claimed.
Proof of Experience must include your responsibilities related to preparing SDSs and labels and the period over which the activities have been performed.
- Employee - Submit a letter of verification from employer stating your job functions includes authoring SDS.
- Consultants - Submit a list of customers for whom SDSs have been authored. If clients are confidential, a detailed description of the types of companies and types of products is required.
|Total Years of Experience||Points|
|10 or more||15|
Documentation Required: A copy of diploma or transcript (can be unofficial).
|Level of Education||Points|
|Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Science||5|
|Bachelor's in Non-Science Major||3|
|Certificate in Safety & Health||2|
|Master's in Engineering or Science||2|
|Doctorate in Engineering or Science||3|
Documentation Required: A copy of your course completion confirmation(s) (e.g., Certificate of Completion), applicable page(s) from a Conference Program with proof of attendance, copy of attendance/sign-in sheet, or equivalent documentation.
Categories of acceptable courses include:
Courses can be formal education, in-house, or professional training. Also acceptable is attendance at applicable sessions from professional or technical conferences. Points are based on duration as follows:
|Conference session, per hour||0.125|
Documentation Required: A copy of your current certificate(s).
*Other applicable credential.
The application fee ($100) is due when the application is submitted. The assessment fee - and remote proctoring fee, if selected - is due when signing up for the exam.
SDS and Label Authoring Registered Professionals have two options for maintaining registration.